If so, then send us your creative short story about a weekend stay in London and be in with a chance to win a stay at The Charing Cross hotel – all in celebration of the hotel’s literary links and the London Literature Festival.
The Charing Cross Hotel is a grand railway hotel located in the heart of the city with several literary connections. A lot of work has gone into maintinaing the hotel’s glamour and elegance, and it’s now a world class hotel with stylish suites and one of London’s hottest drinking and dining destinations.
This unique hotel inspired British writer Kate Atkinson to feature it in her popular novel, Life After Life, which has been shortlisted for the Women’s Prize for Fiction.
The London Literature Festival – which runs from 20 May until 8 September at the Southbank Centre – is the culmination of a year of literary events in the capital featuring a whole host of guest authors, poets, artists and historians, along with free workshops and performance sessions. There’s something to inspire all you budding writers out there.
Your story can be a romance, a thriller, a comedy – the choice is yours. But it must involve the characters spending a weekend in London.
Let your imagination run wild, dare to be different and send us your finest 500-1000 words for a chance to win a fantastic stay for two at The Charing Cross Hotel, including dinner in The Brasserie and breakfast in the morning.
So now’s the time to get yourself in front of your computer screen, polish off your short story and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6pm on the 24 June 2013. Once we’ve read all your entries, we’ll pick our winner.
And did you know that The Charing Cross Hotel was actually the backdrop for a famous Sherlock Holmes scene by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? Why not pop in for a meal or book a room here for inspiration to get those creative juices flowing?
Terms & Conditions:
• This competition is open to UK residents only. No purchase necessary.
• Entrants must be over 18 to enter. One entry per person. Employees of the Guoman & Thistle Group (“Guoman Hotels”) or Siren Communications (“Siren”) are excluded
• The prize is one night’s stay for two in a standard double or twin room at Charing Cross hotel, including dinner in the Brasserie (drinks not included) and breakfast. Transport to and from the hotel is not included in the prize and the winner must make his/her own arrangements
• The story may be on any subject and of any genre and up to 500-1000 words. The story must be your own original work and contain no material which is libellous, obscene, a breach of privacy or otherwise unlawful. You must have the written consent from any person who is identified or identifiable in it
• Entries should be submitted in a Word or PDF format. The competition ends 24.06.13 at 6pm and late entries will not be considered. The winner will be chosen, then notified by email by 01.07.13 and announced on the Guoman Blog
• The winner will be chosen by Guoman Hotels and Siren. The winner will be the entry which in the opinion of the judges shows the most originality, creativity and highest quality of writing
• The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. There will only be one winner, if the winner is unavailable or does not respond within 48 hours a new winner will be chosen
• The short story will be posted on the Guoman Hotel blog after the competition closes
• The Guoman Hotels PR team will contact the competition winner to arrange their stay after the winning entry has been chosen. The prize is subject to availability and is non-transferable. There will be no cash alternative
• Entrants retain the copyright in their entries and grant Guoman Hotels and its permitted licences a non-exclusive licence to use for their respective business purposes in connection with the competition. However, once selected and notified, in consideration of the prize the winner assigns copyright in the winning entry to Guoman Hotels (and hereby agrees to do so by way of present assignment of future rights) and waives his/her moral rights although reasonable efforts will be made to mention the winner’s name alongside the winning entry
• The winner’s name will be available on request
• The competition is run by Guoman Hotel Management (UK) Limited, PO Box 909, Bath Road, Uxbridge, UB8 9FH. For the avoidance of doubt this competition is not endorsed by or associated with the author or publishers of “Life After Life”